Friday 6 May 2011

Dublin, Kilkenny and The Worlds

The Paddywagon tour was over, but there were still many days ahead for Ireland and I. After arriving back from the tour, it was off to Sam's house, just outside of Dublin for an early night in.
So this would be the week were I would get in some Dublin adventures, and what is in Dublin? Well the Guinness Factory of course. So the next morning I was up early and off to the train station to head into Dublin and meet up with some of the guys from Paddywagon before starting our day at the Guinness Factory. Finding the actual factory was no problem, but trying to find the part/entrance to the main tour part that's open to the public was a whole different story. We did spend a good while walking around trying to work out where we were meant to be, we then gave up and asked for directions only to find out that the Guinness Factory is spread out over a few blocks and we were walking around the wrong one. Eventually making it there we did a bit of a sneaky and got in as students by using the automatic machines to purchase the tickets instead of going through the tills, every little bit counts when you're travelling! So with our student tickets and hoping like hell we wouldn't be asked for student I.D's we were in and the looking around would begin. Now I can't speak for everyone but there is only so much you can find out about how they make Guinness before your attention span seems to become extremely short, so I was definitely looking forward to the 'pour your own pint' challenge. So we lined up and were given instructions on how to pour the perfect pint of Guinness then one at a time we all went up and poured our pints. I was rather thrilled with mine, I personally think I did an excellent job considering I thought I would be absolute rubbish and somehow end up with Guinness everywhere but no, my pint looked rather tasty! Guinness isn't exactly my favourite beverage around, but I was at the Guinness factory and just poured my own pint, so I thought I may as well sit down and try to enjoy it. Well let's just say a pint of Guinness on an empty stomach for me who never drinks the stuff after about half way through my pint I did start to get the giggles a wee bit. So we finished our drinks headed up to the top of the factory where you can look over Dublin, then it was off to grab some lunch in Temple Bar. A relaxing afternoon was in store after lunch, so we headed to St Stephens Green for a bit of a stroll around then went and did a bit of touristy shopping. That evening we wanted to go out for somewhat of a shindig, so we all met up again in Temple Bar and got a few drinks and listened to some live Irish music, it was a good night out. It was Good Friday the next day so everything was closing up at midnight, so I was home in bed within a reasonable hour.



The World Irish Dancing Championships were running all week from the 17th to the 23rd April, but Good Friday was the day that I would go along to watch. So Sam and I drove out to City West Hotel where they were being held, I was super excited, I had never been to the worlds before and I was looking forward to really seeing what they were like and also watching all the dancing. My friend Lucy was competing in today's competition and I also wanted to be there to see her dance and luckily for me we walked in and sat down just before she came on for her Set Dance. We watched some more dancing, including some of the teams, but because we'd arrived in the mid afternoon it was mainly set dances that were on. I managed to track down Lucy, so I had a bit of a catch up with her and her Mum, both who I haven't seen since I left Nelson in 2007. Results time rolled around fast and I was sitting there with my programme in hand ready to see who was who and get down all the places. Lucy's set dance was really good and I was dying to see how she would place, if you get in the top 15 of your age group you automatically qualify for the Worlds next year, so we all had our fingers crossed tightly. Lucy was placed at 13th which is so great! Everyone was so happy and I was so happy for Lucy, it was a well deserved placed, especially after I was told how much hard work and effort went into her dancing over the year. So congratulations Lucy! The worlds where absolutely great and I'd love to go to another worlds and watch them again.



After a great day at the worlds, Sam and I were back home and I needed to work out what I would do for the next day, Sam was working and I still felt like I had more of Ireland to see, I was also still on a high from the day and also the Paddywagon tour earlier in the week. So I thought to myself that since I'd enjoyed my Payywagon so much, why not do another one? So I booked a one day tour on another Paddywagon.

Another early morning rise to get ready for my second Paddywagon for this Ireland trip and again I was super excited. There was a completely different group of people on this bus though, mainly a lot older and in bigger groups, so at the start I was pretty sure I was the only person travelling by myself on this trip, however I was wrong, a middle aged man sat next to me, mainly cos I had the best seats on the bus, at the front. Turns out he was from Australia (is anyone not from Aussie? Seriously), anyway he was good fun, on a wee holiday between jobs, and Ireland was his 49th country he'd been to, he was aiming for 50 countries by the end of 50, after Ireland he was headed for Iceland, which would make 50 countries! So you can imagine he was great fun to talk to, lots of stories. The first stop on the trip was Glendalough a beautiful place with amazing ruins and history as well as very peaceful lake and also the home to the some of the sets of PS I Love You and Braveheart. Now every time I watch PS I Love You, I have right right to yell out "oh look I've been there!". We had a good hour or so to look around here, and then we were back in the bus and on our way to Kilkenny. Now an Irish dancer will get this, but every time I hear Kilkenny, I automatically think oh the Kilkenny Races (for those who don't Irish dance, this is the name of a set dance, I won't explain, it'll be a long story), so yip I was in Kilkenny and all I could think about was the set dance. It's a lovely wee town though, the main road is extremely narrow and I did have concerns about the bus getting down there without causing any scratches. So to start off in the town I went and had a pint of Kilkenny, so now I can say I've had a pint of Kilkenny in Kilkenny. I'm not big fan of ale, but it was actually rather nice and I could easily have one again. Then it was off for a bit of a walk around and a cheap picnic lunch on the grounds of Kilkenny Castle. There is so much history in Kilkenny and I could ramble on for hours with all the stories about the place, but I'll let you all do a tour through Ireland and find out for yourselves. So after a good couple of hours walking around Kilkenny we were back on the bus and headed for Brownhill Dolmen, an ancient pre-Celtic burial edifice. The history here is amazing and to think that this tomb was build between 3000 and 4000BC and has not been excavated for fear of damage. This was the last stop for the day and now I was headed back to Dublin for the last two days of my trip.



My last two days in Ireland would be relaxing ones. There wasn't anything that Sam and I had planned to do apart from go out on the Sunday night, Sam's brother was having a leaving party as he was moving to Australia to live for a year. So Sunday we had a bit of a sleep in then spend the day relaxing in the sun, before getting ready and heading out for a nice meal and then a few, well more than a few drinks. It was good to get out for the night and have a bit of a laugh and meet new people. The next day wasn't as much of a write off I thought it would be, though we did stay in bed until about midday, before venturing out to get some McDonalds.
Sadly though it was time for me to pack up my bags, and make my way to the airport. I'd had so much fun in Ireland I was sad to leave, but at the same time pleased to be heading home. I'd love to go back again one day for another trip, especially to get to see some of the north and Northern Ireland, but we'll see. For now though Ireland most definitely stands at one of my favourite countries. And thanks to my new Paddywagon friend I have a new challenge for myself, 30 countries by 30! We'll see how that goes....


1 comment:

  1. that's awesome!! i was thinking the same thing in my head when i read about your new buddy - i want to do 30 before 30!

    ReplyDelete